Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vision Board for January

So, I finally got my vision board done! Yay!! Ok, here's what's behind all of this. One of the websites I like had a monthly vision board thingy that they do. (ok, it's a life coach's site and it's a project that her clients do.. you can find here at www.jamieridlerstudios.ca.) So, I am hoping make one per month.

I decided my first one would be about work since I'm currently job hunting. The goal of a vision board is to help you focus on what you want and envision it for yourself. This works on the principle that if you can envision it for yourself, your unconscious self will bring about your desire. Or it can be likened to prayer or spell casting... only visual. I find vision boards to be very difficult, mainly because I have so many different things I like that it's hard to keep them focused. Plus, I found when doing this one that I struggled between allowing my feelings to dictate what I did and making it "logical". It's not unusual for my emotional and logical sides to conflict. :)

So, first I got out the materials needed. I had intended on doing something on canvas but my mod podge was all dried out. :( I didn't want to use white glue and rubber cement seemed like overkill. So, I grabbed my big sheet of poster board that I had bought a long time ago for this project. It was covered with dust! (Ah, well... we won't talk about dust).

I cut the poster board into 4ths because, doing this monthly, I didn't want huge sheets of these boards! Here's a pic of my materials...







Ok, then I started cutting out images and words that I liked. I was going to take pics of my "in progress" but got caught up with the project and forgot. I assume if you ever went to Kindergarten, you know how to cut and paste. I used a crafters glue stick (which, was partly dried out... I think it's time to look at my craft supplies!) to glue these on. Nothing fancy!



So, what did I discover? First, it's pretty hard to find work related stuff in the magazines I had! But, I think it was interesting. I started out thinking about all the things that go into being a clinician... all business-like. But, ended up with some very interesting and unusual pictures! So, first the words. Most are pretty "touchy feely" and social work oriented. My past job got me feeling very incompetent. I questioned myself and struggled a lot. So feeding confidence, believing in myself and being stress free were obvious choices. I picked the mind, body, spirit because I work in a holistic manner. Our minds, body's and spirits are interconnected. I picked "Awaken to your Purpose" because it felt to me that I need to figure out my path in my work life... where do I want to go? I obviously want to be "in the know". At my last job I always felt like I was somehow a half step behind. I picked "financial balance" because I would like to make more money but it has to be balanced. It's no good to make lots of money but lose our on all the other things! And last words were "Fit in. Stand out". Seems pretty self-explanatory.

Now, the pictures are the really interesting part. The center picture in pink was actually linked to an article on vision boarding! I liked it because it shows imagining your path and then drawing it to you. That's the point! I then found the picture of the people sharing a present in the upper right hand corner. This reminded me of the human connection and emotion involved in my profession. The writer directly below that reminded me that I would like to move towards writing, teaching or both. Those are my passions. I chose the lady looking through the binoculars because it reminded me to look forward to what is ahead. Yes, I need to be "in the moment" as well but it's ok to dream and embrace the future too! The heart stands for caring for others. (more touchy-feely stuff!). The candles were very peaceful to me and represented that I want my job to give me inner peace and also allow my own light to show. The last picture is of a fairy and that reminded me that I want my job to have a sense of fun and creativity. How that will happen... I don't know yet!

So, there you have it! My first vision board! I need to sit with it and meditate on it more for it to speak to me. One thing I did when looking for pictures is to focus on what leapt out to me! Allowing my unconscious to help decide what would go on here. So, figuring it out more will definitely require some absorption of the collage!
If anyone else decides to do one, I'd love to see it! Until next time...

Blessed Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment